Teen STAR – Sexuality Teaching in the context of Adult Responsibility
- is a developmental curriculum which utilizes experience of the body’s fertility patterns to discover the values and derive the norms.
- teaches responsible decision-making and communication skills in the area of sexual behavior.
- enhances teens’ self-understanding and self-esteem.
- moves teens from being victims of their hormones to being in control.
- demands self-discipline – which is counter-cultural.
- offers methods to reject peer, as well as media pressure.
- affirms virtues, but is not moralistic.
- treats sex as a gift to be respected and valued.
- Classes are offered weekly. Two semesters are necessary to internalize class material and experience and understand cyclic fertility.
- If classes are coeducational, Units 1-7 are taught in gender-separated groups.
- Can be taught in Health, Family Life or Biology classes, also in Religion classes where appropriate. Youth group settings allow for flexible scheduling.
- Emphasis on primary prevention especially in 7th to 10th grades.
- Teen STAR has demonstrated ability to undergird virginity as well as a return to chastity.
- Helps young women to understand themselves;
- Helps young men to gain self-mastery.
Available in English, Spanish, Polish, Slovak, French, Lithuanian, Romanian, Croatian, German, Ukrainian, Russian, Malgassy, Italian, Korean.
- TO RECOGNIZE the physiological signs of male & female fertility
- TO ENABLE young people to understand emotional changes in the cycle and the feelings these changes generate.
- TO KNOW how to use the curriculum to facilitate cognitive and experiential learning as logical stimuli in surfacing values involved…
- TO HELP students learn to value the freedom and choice which are the true basis of decision making in love and love making.
- TO WIN the enlightened cooperation of parents, balancing their involvement with their own child’s developmental needs.
To teach Teen STAR teachers need to:
- “buy into” the values of the program integrally – teens sense and reject inauthenticity
- complete initial training workshop and one year practicum
- 35 contact hours in 4 or 5 day format
- Processing and registration: $25.00 non-refundable, due 3 weeks before workshop to receive pretest.
- Individual tuition and syllabus: $400.00
- Housing and Meals not included.
- Group rates: $4200 (Includes up to 15 participants, $150 per extra person in group).
- Some scholarships available.
- Site supervision: individually negotiated.
- Enrollment: 12 minimum – 30 maximum.
- We reserve the right to cancel a workshop and refund the processing fee.
- Continuing Education Credits available.